Accounting Services Customized for Government Entities
We work with a number of governments, including municipalities, utilities and other special purpose districts, providing the following services:
- Process vendor bills efficiently. Because all processing is accomplished online, we can return relevant information to you quickly.
- Balance your checkbooks. Through our secure website, you can access your checkbooks for up-to-the-minute views of your cash position.
- Process payroll. You can conveniently enter your payroll data online for processing. Once processed, we return paychecks, direct deposit remittances, and post employees’ stubs to their own secure portals.
- Create detailed statements and reports to keep you updated on your financial status. Because your data is collected in real-time via our website, we can offer you a current view of your financial health throughout the year.
- Ensure that you are in good shape for audit season. We make sure your books are in excellent shape and that expenses are properly allocated as you approach audit season. We can also assist you through the audit process, answering your questions along the way. We can also prepare your financial statements.
- Segregate your bookkeeping activity. To ensure the proper checks and balances, it’s a good idea to separate accounting activity from the business’ day-to-day operations. We become your remote accounting department—ensuring that the proper controls are in place and the integrity of your accounting process is maintained.
As government accounting, auditing, and financial reporting regulations continue to expand and grow in complexity, it is more important than ever to have a firm focused on serving local, South Carolina governments on your team. Our focus on governmental industries, our commitment to excellence, and our loyalty to South Carolina governments distinguishes GF as a leading governmental auditing firm in South Carolina.
Our audit services are provided in accordance with generally accepted government auditing standards (and the uniform grant guidance if a Single Audit is required) and with Government Auditing Standards issued by the Comptroller General of the USA. We not only serve in the audit, but are proactive in identifying risks and solutions to enable you to best serve your community.
GF is uniquely qualified to serve your government for the following reasons:
- GF focuses on local governments in South Carolina. We currently provide audit and related services to more than 70 governments in South Carolina with revenues totaling over $4 billion. Our government clients range from small entities to very large governments.
- GF has extensive experience serving utilities in South Carolina. We provide audit services to 10 municipalities with utility operations and five other utility providers with over $120 million in annual revenues.
- GF staff is committed to South Carolina and North Carolina governments. Over 20 of our professional staff are full time audit employees that are available to serve governments throughout the year. We encourage periodic meetings and phone calls to address the implementation of any GASBs and other issues as they surface throughout the year. GF has a low turnover rate among professional staff, which leads to positive continuity for us and our clients from year to year.
- GF values and practices effective communication. GF communicates clearly and consistently to members at all levels of our client’s organization. From our initial meeting with finance staff to our presentation to Council or Board, GF endeavors to ensure that your government is well informed throughout the year.
- GF offers outstanding client service. We serve our clients beyond the audit.
- We strive to stay up-to-date on concerns facing governments. We support government associations (MASC, MFOCTA, SCAMPS, SCASBO, SCSBA, SCAC, SCSPD, the Municipal Elected Officials Institute, and GFOASC) as members, sponsors, exhibitors, and speakers.
- We host an annual continuing professional education conference that is free to our clients, offering a unique opportunity for our clients to network among government and financial peers in South Carolina.
- Through conference seminars and email updates, we keep our clients informed on new GASBs and other matters which may impact them.
Governments periodically find themselves in need of tax assistance in order to resolve payroll tax issues or prepare 990 compilations for nonprofit component units. We serve governments by relieving government officials of the burdens of tax assistance, issues, and preparation.
Greene Finney caters to the unique advisory needs of governments, providing comprehensive assistance to ensure your government's success. See several of our services detailed below:
- Budget planning and preparation
- Multi-year financial forecasting
- Financial forecasting
- Process, procedure, and internal control review and evaluation
- Risk assessment
- Financial analysis
- Cash flow management
- Capital asset management
- Debt service planning and analysis
- Forensic accounting and investigation
- Program single audits
- Payroll tax assistance
- Audit and financial statement preparation